The school is funding the role of a Community Education Counsellor (CEC) to provide further support for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and their families.
The role of a CEC includes:
- Student and family engagement
- Implementation of student support programs
- Provision of educational counselling
- Establishing and maintaining links with community based services
- Providing information to the school community about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives.
I am pleased to inform the school community that Theresa Harrison has been appointed as our CEC. Theresa is an Aboriginal woman from the Pitta Pitta tribe and Maiwelli clan. Her Grandmother was from the Stolen Generation. Theresa has experience in working alongside children and their families and looks forward to being a valued member of our school community.
Theresa will be working at Crestmead five days per fortnight. She will be at school on the Monday, Wednesday and Friday of odd weeks and Tuesday and Thursday of even weeks. Theresa will be available to meet with parents both before and after school so please feel welcome to ‘pop-in’. Her office is located in between the year 1 classes in Teaching Block 2, entering through the door opposite the P&C Uniform Shop.
Theresa is very excited to join the Crestmead community and looks forward to supporting our students in their educational journey.